The Youth Advisory Council was originally formed by youth who attended The Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health Conference in 2006 in Saint Louis, Missouri. Recently, the council adopted the name of Youth Council in Action—YCIA. These youth come from counties allover the state of South Carolina. They have developed their own policies and procedures and are in the process of starting Youth Support Networks in their local communities.
Activities to date:
- Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health Conference
- 2007 Shared Agenda Conference in Columbia, SC
- SC Youth Leadership at USC
- Pennsylvania Community on Transition Forum
- 2007 System of Care Conference in New Orleans
- Advocacy at their schools
- 2008 Youth Leadership Conference: Get the Conversation Started
- Get the Conversation Started Youth Leadership and Recognition Rally
- Youth Advisors for Get the Conversation Started PSA
- Children’s Mental Health Week presentation at statehouse steps
- 2009 Linking Families, Schools and Communities Conference
- 2009 School Based Mental Health Conference
- Planning Youth Rallies in their communities
- 2009 & 2010 Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day Youth Speaker
- 2010 CMHW Nationwide Art Action Project at Richland 1 Elementary School (in collaboration with Richland/Lexington Support Network)
Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is seeking to fill vacant positions. The YAC is looking for youth across the state of SC who:
- Received substance abuse or mental health services (or the sibling of a youth who has)
- Have strong leadership skills.
- Are between the ages of 13-25.
- Have reliable transportation to travel to Columbia for quarterly meetings.
If you are such a youth or know of a youth who meets the criteria, please contact the Youth Outreach Coordinator at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-779-0402 for more information.