10. The suicide rate (an adverse outcome of having a mental illness) remains unchanged in the past two decades, while other medical issues like stroke, AIDS, and heart disease have steadily declined.
9. We need to reframe our way of thinking about mental health as brain circuit disorders, rather than chemical imbalances or lesions on the brain.
8. Mobile apps are useful as a tool for wellness. Some to check out are PTSD Coach, Parenting2Go, Mindfulness Coach, and CBT-I Coach. These apps are for everyone from the VA.
7. Recovery After an Initial Schizophrenia Episode (RAISE) is an NIMH research project that seeks to fundamentally change the trajectory and prognosis of schizophrenia through coordinated and aggressive treatment in the earliest stages of illness.
6. Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) helps people make informed healthcare decisions, and improves healthcare delivery and outcomes, by producing and promoting high integrity, evidence-based information that comes from research guided by patients, caregivers and the broader healthcare community.
5. In a peer engagement study done by the NIMH surmises that the addition of peer support mentors decreased substance use and depression and increased hopefulness , self-care and well-being.
4. President Obama has called for a national dialogue on mental health. Creating Community Solutions, is an initiative designed to get people and communities talking about mental health. CCS is helping communities organize dialogues and has created resources to help event organizers and participants talk about mental health and take action in their communities.
3. Overall US rates of suicide deaths have not decreased appreciably in 50 years. Each year, over 650,000 individuals report that they received medical attention for a suicide attempt each year, more than 38,000 individuals die by suicide. The Research Prioritization Task Force (RPTF) goal is to develop on agenda for research that has the potential to reduce morbidity (attempts) and mortality( deaths) each, by at least 20% in five year, and 40% or greater in 10 years, if implemented fully and successfully.
2. Research is crucial for gaining a deeper understanding and better treatment of mental health issues. To learn more about community-engaged research, watch this video.
1. The NIMH Outreach Partners Program is a valuable source for mental health information!